Botulinum Injections (Botox®)
- What is it?
- Many wrinkles are actually creases that have been worn into the skin by making the same expression many times. These are called “expression lines” or “dynamic wrinkles”. Typical dynamic wrinkles include: “frown lines” between the eyebrows, “crow’s feet” around the eyes, and forehead lines. The presence of these lines can add years to our appearances, often making us look angry, tired, or worried. Botulinum injections can help you control the appearance of dynamic wrinkles, preventing the unintended display of negative feelings so you can express yourself accurately.
Better known by brand names Botox® or Dysport®, botulinum toxin injections are made from highly purified, naturally occurring proteins. They have the ability to very precisely relax the muscles to which they are applied. The skin over the treated muscles gradually becomes smoother and less wrinkled as the muscles relax.
This relaxation is not permanent. It lasts for several months, then the treated muscles gradually return to their normal condition. Botulinum does not affect the nerves responsible for sensation, so there is no numbness in the treated area. You can stop treatments at any time and be confident you will gradually return to your pre-treatment appearance.
- How does it work?
- The treated muscles usually start to relax within a day or two, and reach the maximum degree of relaxation within 7-14 days. About three months following your treatment, the effects gradually start to wear off. Because they relax the muscles that cause dynamic wrinkles, botulinum injections can also prevent new lines from forming. Treatments are gentle and quick. No sedation or local anesthetic is required, so you will be able to continue with all your usual activities immediately following treatment.
- How much does it cost?
- We charge $10/unit for Botox®. The number of units you require will depend on how many areas you are getting treated and the severity of the wrinkles in these areas. The average cost per treatment can range from $150-$400. The price range is so wide because some clients require more product injected into a specific area than others in order to obtain maximum results.
- Will I need multiple treatments?
- The effects of Botox® wear off between 3-6 months, so you will need to return for more injections if you wish to maintain their effects. After the effects wear off you will not look any different than you did before you had it done. If anything, your dynamic wrinkles will be less noticeable because they will have been immobile for the past several months.
- Who does the treatment?
- Injections are done by one of our highly trained Registered Nurses.
- How long does it take?
- Treatments can last anywhere from 10-45 minutes, depending on how much product is being used.
- Is there any downtime or pain?
- A small amount of discomfort may be felt when the needle is inserted and the solution is injected. This sensation lasts only a few seconds. Occasionally, patients experience some bruising at the injection site. This can easily be hidden with cosmetics, and fades away within a few days.