- What is it?
- Levulan® Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) is the most recent advance in acne therapy. Photodynamic acne therapy involves the application of Levulan® (5-aminolevulinic acid), a photosensitizing agent, which is then activated by the BLU-U® Blue Light Photodynamic Therapy system. The Levulan® chemical is absorbed into the skins abnormal cells only, and is then activated by the BLU-U® Light pulses. This results in significant improvement in moderate to severe cystic acne.
- How does it work?
Levulan® acne treatment involves three mechanisms of action against acne:
- 1: The application of Levulan® inactivates the bacteria that triggers acne.
- 2: It exfoliates the skin to unclog pores.
- 3: Treatment shuts down the sebaceous glands in the skin (root cause in the formation of acne).
- How much does it cost?
- Treatments start at $550 per session.
- Will I need multiple treatments?
- The number of suggested treatments varies from person to person, but usually 2-4 treatments at 6 month intervals are recommended for best results.
- Who does the treatment?
- The treatment is performed by one of our professionally trained Medical Estheticians.
- How long does it take?
- Treatment usually takes about 1 hour.
- Is there any downtime or pain?
- You will typically have after-effects for 4-7 days following your treatment, including thick peeling and redness. You must avoid direct sun exposure for one week following the procedure.